Tuesday 6 March 2012

TAG TUESDAY BIRDS

'TWO FOR JOY'


This tag was inspired by a found magpie feather.  At first glance magpies appear to have black and white plumage, but when seen close-up their black feathers take on a more colourful hue with a purplish-blue iridescent sheen to the wing feathers.
On one side of the tag I have written ‘2 for joy’ and stuck the feather next to it.  I like the way it goes over the side of the tag. 
I used purply-blue pearlescent paint for the writing, and dark iridescent bugle beads as a trim.
Magpies have a reputation for stealing bright and shiny things, so I have trimmed the tag with an old silver earring and a sparkly diamante. 
  According to an old superstition  the number of magpies you see determines if you will have bad luck or not. There are many different versions, so I chose this version to write on on the other side of the main tag:
One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret, never to be told,
Eight for a wish,
Nine for a kiss,
Ten for a big surprise.
I’m a bit disappointed with the photos because none of them have really picked up the beautiful electric blue of the feather; it looks much better in real life. Also now that I've been handling the feather so much, now it looks a bit scruffy!  But at least I had the Joy of seeing it at its best.  Thank you to all of you who have left such lovely comments on my tags, they are much appreciated.
Wishing you all a lovely week
Jane xx

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jane, just catching up on blog visiting! I love your bird tag, I can imagin the bright blue of the feathers, I love the colours of the magpie, not very keen on the birds habits around our garden, but that nature I suppose!

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another lovely piece of art :)
    Do you remember the children's programme, rival to Blue Peter, Magpie, and that song was the theme tune? :0)

    ReplyDelete