Tuesday 16 October 2012

TAG TUESDAY - RUST



I started my RUST tags a few weeks ago when I did some tie-dyeing with some rusty old screws, nuts and bolts from the shed. 
 

I wrapped little bundles of rusty bits in calico and secured with rubber bands.  I soaked the bundle in vinegar for 24 hours and then left it in the greenhouse for a week.  It smelled disgusting!
 
After I had removed the rubber bands and washed and ironed the calico I began to look closely at the resulting marks to see if there were any interesting pictures in the rust.  To start with, as Halloween is coming up,  I was looking for monsters, were-wolves and gargoyles.  I wasn’t expecting to find roses and diamonds! 

My first tag started like this: This rusty image is just how it came out of the tied bundle, it has not been touched up in any way to look more like a rosebud. 
I used the rest of the rusty calico to make leaves and 2 3D roses.  The rose stem is a dried leaf stem.


For my second tag I found a diamond solitaire etched into the rust.  I added a ring of gold wire and some more rusty leaves.
Even the waste fabric from the leaves is beautiful.  
 Who said romance is dead?!

 I also found cobwebs and spooks in my rusty images, but I’m keeping those for Halloween!

Bye for now,
Jane xx


1 comment:

  1. Amazing to find a rose in the fabric. Love how you added the leaves and the pretty 3D roses. I didn't know you could make rusty cloth--I learned something new and am eager to try it.

    ReplyDelete